Friday, March 19, 2010

mix it up





When Ted and I began assembling the "must haves" of our kitchen, I had my eyes set on the prize of a beautiful orange
KitchenAid Stand Mixer.

She was beautiful, and shiny, and the color of a perfectly ripened orange, and full of baking bliss potential..; however, was boggled by the price, and realized paying our mortgage was far more important these days.

So, the search began for a substitute, and, like many times in life, I found just what I needed at a thrift store.

One Saturday while our brother Adam and our friend Jon were in town, we spent the day rescuing treasures from our local Salvage Warehouse and nearby thrift shops. While digging through the seemingly endless piles of rusty memorabilia, Ted found this Rocket Shaped Retro Sunbeam mixer stashed away, just waiting to be in our home.

It look a little elbow grease to get her clean and ready for work, but I must say, we've already become rather good friends. Our first project together was to cure Ted's craving for Chocolate-Chocolate Cake, and my
lil' Sunbeam worked like a charm. She was quiet, and smooth, and powerful, and...beautiful.



Now that I've already grown so much in love with my mixer, I must say a brand new shiny
KitchenAid mixer would never have been the right fit for me. This little something with history, past experience, and a vintage vibe is definitely the perfect company for my baking journeys.

So, here's to donating, finding, rescuing, and mixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment