Thursday, March 25, 2010

gimme some sugar


Ah, yes...Winter.

She's come.

She's gone.

Maybe, if you're like me, She's also left you with some dry, dull skin that wants nothing to do the with short skirts and tank tops that the recent warm weather has invited.

Maybe you don't have $25 to spend on a tiny tub of sugar scrub from Bath & Body Works...and possibly, you can't stand the overwhelming stench of their chemically injected beauty products, anyway.

Fear me, Xerosis. Ladies & gentlemen, I have a natural, economical, eco-friendly solution to the worries of Winter. I mentioned on Facebook a few weeks ago that I started to make my own body scrubs and had quite a few people ask me for the recipe. My advice is to use what you already have, but if you'd like to make the initial investment in the ingredients, they'll last quite a while!

So, as promised- here's the recipe! Now, let's get started:



Organic Exfoliating Sugar Scrub
Shopping List:

-Sugar in the Raw- Brown Sugar-1 box
** I don't use white or light brown sugar. The bigger the sugar crystals the better..you want it to really exfoliate!
-LIGHT Olive Oil-1 small bottle
**very important that it be LIGHT. Also, any other light oil will work. Basically anything light, and derived from nature will do the trick

-Any scented pure organic extract or scented oil- 1 small bottle
**ex: Vanilla, Lemon, Almond, Mint, etc. Just get something you like the smell of from the baking section of your grocery store
**you can combine scents, too! I've done Vanilla-Almond, and it smells like heaven. Get creative. I'm going to try something with lavender oil or mint next.

-Honey-1 small bottle



Directions:


1. Pour 1 cup of brown sugar in a medium sized bowl

2. Now add light olive oil to the sugar, a little at a time while stirring.
You'll know when there's enough oil when all the sugar is coated.

3. Add honey, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Should take about 3-4 tablespoons, depending on how much sugar is used.

4. Get creative with your extracts & oils, and blend.
REMEMBER: a little goes a long way!

5. TASTE IT!
How awesome is it that you're making something to put ON your body, that you can also put IN your body?

6. Place in covered container. I use wide lipped small Ball Jars. They work well for storage and are easy to clean & reuse!

**Oils will naturally fall to the bottom of the jar, so give a good mix before use. A wide wooden tongue depressor works wonders for this.

**I wouldn't use it on my face. Works exceptionally well on hands and other non-face parts.


So, here's to wooden spoons, natural remedies, SUGAR!, saving moolah, and smooth, glowing skin.









2 comments: