Monday, March 29, 2010

a little less Texaco


Though my green thumbs aren't too experienced- (somehow I ALWAYS kill flowers,) I get a little giddy at any garden shop, as gardening reminds me of my childhood in Connecticut. My mom and I used to make several trips to Salem Country Gardens, our local nursery, and wade through aisle after aisle of plants and flowers. The aroma was overwhelming, yet inviting and comforting. I'd always look forward to strolling the grounds, running from massive bees, and making a trip to the over-sized cooler near the checkout counter where they kept several flavors of Stewart's specialty sodas- my flavors of choice were typically Key Lime and Orange N' Cream.

When we'd finally arrive at home with our station wagon full of dirt, mulch, and a wide variety of flowers, my Mom would spend the better half of the weekend precisely planting the flowers. My mom is a planner- undoubtedly. And in this case, a plant-planner.... And, the planning was well-worth it.

During the Spring in Summer I'd be off riding my bike playing "cars" with my neighborhood friends, performing made up skits, swimming, singing Disney songs and chewing my body weight in Bubble Tape. On the days my mom was working in the yard I'd quickly pedal home, insanely excited to see what new flowers she'd planted. She'd put flowers around the
light posts near our driveway, in the flower boxes and hanging pots off the front and back porch. How I loved reaping the benefits of her creativity.

Our house was always beautiful- in fact, it is impossible for my mom to not have a beautiful home. No matter where she's lived- in a 4 bedroom house in New England, or a tiny little apt. in
Lynchburg, Virginia, and now her NC home, she's always worked her magic to make it "home".

My mom isn't a beer drinker. However, once she's worked in the yard all day, somehow the combination of sun and dirt insists she reward herself with a frosty beer (and it HAS to be in the bottle). I love this quirk of hers.


So...Nothing against Texaco, but the view from our balcony was begging for a little more ambiance than the glow of the neon star from the Texaco sign across the street- So, Ted and I made our first plant purchases this past weekend.


Among this Spring's line-up are Pansies, Gerbera Daisies, Alyssum and Violas.



Ted plans on building a 2-tiered plant table for the balcony as to display our lovely pots we found for a steal at the Salvage Warehouse. Our balcony is sunny in the morning, and in the shade all afternoon..which, doesn't help the fact that we picked all "Full Sun" flowers...but, whatever. They'll grow. Hopefully.



I spent a few hours this afternoon "plant-planning," as my mom would do. I didn't have much to choose from as far as variety goes, so I planned with what I had. I tried to balance out the colors and sizes of flowers, while trying to make them not look too organized or boring and repetitive.



Nonetheless, my gardening experience was relaxing and refreshing, and helped to slightly shield our view from the nearby Texaco.


Though my sun and dirt afternoon did not insist a beer upon me, I made myself a beautiful lunch of Salmon and salad. This, of course, was not in honor of my mother because she despises the smell of and all things Salmon. It was delicious- and, she can't smell my Salmon from 400 miles away!

So, here's to Spring, soda in glass bottles, having a plan, photosynthesis, beer, dirt, and a little less Texaco.




No comments:

Post a Comment